3 Home Maintenance Tips For Dallas Summers
In summer, your biggest concern should be about having enough food for your deck party, and not how to fix a rotted deck or a leaky appliance. Prevention is the key to summer home maintenance in Dallas. When you inspect and fix small problems you see, you can guard against bigger, more expensive problems down the line. Here’s 3 summer home maintenance tips that help you stay in control of your house’s maintenance before larger problems occur.
1. Increase Your Home’s Energy Efficiency
Summer is one of the best times in Dallas to increase your home’s energy efficiency in order to keep your home cool and lower your energy bills. Begin by checking your windows and doors for air leaks. Add weatherstripping to doors or replace cracked weatherstripping if you feel air passing through. Inspect your windows’ caulking for any cracks or leaks and replace the cracked sections.
You can also lower your energy bill by using an energy efficient window treatment like plantation shutters - and potentially get a tax credit. Polywood® faux wood plantation shutters reduce the transfer of air through the glass in your windows. They’re 70% more energy efficient than normal wooden shutters and 1600% more energy efficient than aluminum blinds which are found in many homes.
2. Spruce Up Your Patios And Porches
If you’re planning on hosting parties on your patio or deck this summer, ensure it’s prepared for guests. Start by checking your deck or patio for safety. Look around to see if there are any supports, boards, or stairs that should be replaced because they’re broken or rotting. Then stain or seal your deck and patio to give it a fresh look and protect it from the hot summer sun and rain.
After you’ve replaced any damaged boards and areas and stained your patio, you’re ready for the fun part - making it shine. Make your windows and doors adjacent to your patio and deck more interesting by installing window treatments like sidelight shutters or plantation shutters for your french door or sliding doors. Then enhance your porch and patio with new patio furniture or maybe even a fire pit. Landscape around your porch or patio to bring nature into the space.
3. Maintain Large Appliances
Appliances that are broken or leak can put a damper on your summer plans. Here’s some things to do to maintain your major appliances and help them run smoothly:
● Refrigerator. Clogged refrigerator coils make your fridge work harder than it needs to and increase your utility bill. It’s easy to unclog them by vacuuming them. Begin by unplugging your refrigerator and then use your vacuum’s crevice tool (or a coil cleaning brush attachment) to remove all the lint and dirt from the coils.
● Dishwasher. Inspect your dishwasher for any leaks or backed up water. Then deodorize it and give it a deep clean by adding a cup of vinegar to a cycle. You’ll also want to empty and clean the filter (located underneath the spray arms in most dishwashers) with soap and water.
● Washer and dryer. Check your washing machine hoses for any leaks, cracks, or bulges. If necessary, replace the hoses. You should clean out your dryer hose and exterior vent annually or have a professional do the job.
Have A Fun Summer
By keeping on top of your home and appliances, you can enjoy a carefree summer. If you’re interested in giving your house a beautiful look this season with window treatments for your patios, kitchens, or bedrooms, browse through our idea gallery and then contact us for a free in-home consultation at 214-301-5066. We’ll show you all your window treatment options in Dallas and do all the measuring and installation so you can relax and have a pleasant summer.